Writing is 5% inspiration, 5% creativity and 90% determination. Be Determined!
What do I tell newbie kidlit-ters when they’re asking for great kidlit tips and communities?
1. Twitter is a fantastic source of information and community, connecting like-minded people and sharing industry opportunities.
2. The CYA Conference Competition gave me a great start – and offers feedback to every entrant. You can read about the competition (closes April) and conference (in July) at http://www.cyaconference.com.
3. Kidlit festivals are run in many major centres around the country and are a great source of information and enthusiasm.
4. To put things into perspective – and encourage you to persist – this a great post about Children’s Book Publishing – in a Nutshell, by Will Terry.
5. What to look for in ‘just a standard contract‘, from publishing consultant & literary agent Alex Adsett..
6. Traditional publishing, self-publishing or hybrid? The Key Book Publishing Paths, by Jane Friedman.
7. Non-Fiction Writers Dig Deep Zoom launch that unearths a treasure-chest of tips.
8. How to Make Comparable Titles Work for You when preparing submissions (by Cardinal Rule Press)
Kristy Bushnell – Editing Services; https://www.kristybushnell.com
Wordplay Editing Services; http://www.wordplayeditingservices.com
Justified Text; LinkedIn – Robyn Sheahan-Bright