When the cupboards are bare and cake is needed…
My fridge held a lot of zucchini – but not many eggs. And I stood in need of a cake! Having tried zucchini bread and zucchini in coconut bread, I googled ‘zucchini chocolate cake’ to see what I could find.
I found this No Egg Chocolate Zucchini Cake, but because I love a wholesome cake, and I did have ONE egg (and every other zucchini recipe used 3 eggs) I made a few modifications… and came up with this scrummy Nutty Zucchini Chocolate Cake. It was a hit with a bundle of boys – especially my KitKat who has a very strong aversion to zucchini – and a great love of chocolate!
Nutty Zucchini Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups zucchini – finely grated
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg
- 3-4 tbsp milk
(guestimate – add more if dry.)
- 2 cups SR Flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- sprinkling of shredded coconut
- sprinkling of slivered almonds
- 1 tbsp LSA (Ground linseed, sunflower & Almond – optional)
1. Mix zucchini, oil, egg, milk & vanilla.
2. Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
3. Add moist ingredients and combine. Mixture will be paste-thick!
3. Spread into 2 x round greased & lined round tins.
4. Bake at 180 degrees for 25 – 30 minutes.
5. When cool, spread one cake with jam and frosting. Sandwich cakes together and top with frosting.
6. Serve with whipped cream.
- 3tbsp vanilla yoghurt
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 3 – 4 tbsp milk
Moist, dense and decadent delicious! Definitely one to bake again. So good, that in fact, I just did! 🙂